Are Snake Plants Toxic to Humans | Nursery Insider

Are Snake Plants Toxic to Humans | You Should Know

Let’s talk about a cool plant called the snake plant! Some people also call it “Mother-in-law’s tongue.” It’s a super tough and easy-to-care-for green plant that stays alive all year long. 

People love to put it inside their homes because it looks nice, and it helps clean the air.

Now, a common question is, “Are snake plants toxic to humans?” Well, don’t worry too much! Research says that it’s not very toxic to people. If you eat a lot of it, you might feel a bit sick in your tummy, but it’s not dangerous for grown-ups. 

Still, it’s smart to be careful if you have little kids or pets. Keep the plant out of their reach so they don’t accidentally munch on it!

This snake plant is famous among people who like to do indoor gardening. And the best part is, it’s not too risky for humans! But remember, it’s always good to be safe. 

So, let’s take care of this awesome plant and create a safe and happy indoor space for everyone.

Are Snake Plants Poisonous Or Toxic?

They are cool indoor plants that are safe for humans. They won’t hurt us if we’re around them. But, here’s the thing: if you have cats or dogs as pets, you need to be careful.

Snake plants can be toxic to our furry buddies. That means they’re not safe for cats and dogs. The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) says so.

The reason behind this toxicity is stuff called saponins. They’re natural bugs and fungus fighters found in the plant. Cool for the plant, but not for us. If we or our pets eat parts of the snake plant, it can give us a tummy ache with vomiting or diarrhea.

And another thing to watch out for is the plant’s juice. If it touches our skin, it can cause irritation and rashes. So be gentle with those snake plants.

Here’s something super serious, though. Chewing or eating any part of the snake plant can lead to bad allergic reactions in both us and our pets. It can make our mouths and throats swell up, and that’s not good at all.

So, if you have pets, it’s better to keep snake plants away from them. Eating too much of it can even be deadly for our furry pals. So, let’s play it safe and not take any risks. Keep those snake plants out of our pets’ reach

What Parts Of The Mother-in-Law’s Tongue Plant Are Poisonous or Toxic

This plant has something called Saponin Toxins in all its parts. Now, these toxins can be dangerous for pets and little kids. So, we need to make sure that our furry friends and babies stay away from this plant. 

That means not touching its stiff, straight leaves, avoiding the pretty little white flowers, and not munching on its long stem or berries.

This plant is famous for cleaning the air, but we should also be careful because of its toxins. The Saponin Toxins can cause harm if swallowed.

So, if you take care of this plant or have one at home, it’s your responsibility to keep it away from pets and young kids. Safety first!

The leaves of the Snake Plant look cool, but they can be dangerous too. The stiff and straight leaves have those Saponin Toxins we talked about. So, it’s essential to be cautious when dealing with these leaves.

Not just the leaves, but other parts of this plant are also toxic. The little white flowers that smell nice can be harmful if eaten because of the Saponin Toxins. The long stems and berries are not safe either. 

So, be smart and enjoy the beauty of plants from a safe distance.

What Are The Symptoms Of Poisoning?

Now, imagine tasting a plant that tastes bitter and burns your mouth. Yikes! That’s what happens with this plant we’re talking about. It’s not good for humans or most animals, so we should stay away from it.

But you know how curious some pets can be, right? Dogs and cats might still want to give it a try out of curiosity. If they do, they might show some signs that something’s not right:

Swelling of the lips, tongue, and mouth – This can happen right after eating the plant.

Feeling sick – Nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea might happen as the body tries to get rid of the harmful stuff.

Tummy ache – Eating the poisonous plant can make your belly feel uncomfortable.

No appetite – After eating something bad, you might not feel like eating anything else.

And watch out for pets drooling a lot. It’s their way of dealing with the toxins they eat.

The bad stuff in the plant’s sap can mess up the digestive system, causing even more trouble inside our bodies.

It’s super important to know these symptoms so we can help anyone who might accidentally eat this plant. If you think someone, or even your pet, ate it, tell a grown-up right away or take your pet to a vet. They’ll know how to take care of it and keep everyone safe.

How To Protect Pet Owners From The Mother In Law’s Tongue Plant

It’s mostly safe to touch, but the liquid from its leaves can irritate the skin. So, when you’re moving or playing with the plant, it’s a good idea to wear gloves for protection.

Since this plant is so famous, we want to make sure it stays out of the reach of small kids and pets. One way to do that is by putting it up high on a shelf. That way, our curious pets won’t accidentally nibble on it, and everyone will be safe and happy.

But what if, by chance, your pet does take a little bite? Don’t worry, just act fast! Take out any chewed leaves from their mouth and get them to the vet right away. 

Being quick is super important because it helps prevent things from getting worse.

And here’s something essential to know – if you ever see your pet having some strange symptoms after being near the snake plant, or if you think they got poisoned, you should get help right away. 

The Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) is there to give us advice and guidance to handle the situation properly.

Sometimes, in more serious situations, when a child or pet eats a lot of a poisonous plant, we might need to do special things like flushing the mouth, making them throw up, or emptying the stomach. 

But remember, these actions should only be done with the help of a professional, like a veterinarian or poison control center.

By following these simple steps and acting quickly when needed, we can make sure our furry friends stay safe and we can enjoy the beauty of the Mother-in-law’s tongue plant without worries. 

Always remember, being careful and fast can protect our lovely pets from any potential dangers. 


In conclusion, snake plants (Sansevieria) are considered mildly toxic to humans and pets if ingested. 

While they are generally safe when kept as ornamental plants in homes and offices, caution should be exercised to ensure they are kept out of the reach of children and pets who might be tempted to chew on the leaves. 

The plant’s toxicity is primarily due to the presence of saponins and other compounds that can cause gastrointestinal discomfort if consumed in large quantities. 


What happens if someone eats parts of a snake plant? 

If you eat snake plant parts, you might feel sick with things like nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea. But don’t worry too much, it’s usually not super serious. Still, tell a grown-up if you feel bad.

Can touching a snake plant hurt your skin? 

Yes, touching snake plants might bother some people’s skin. To be safe, you can wear gloves, especially if your skin is sensitive.

Can you keep snake plants inside even if they’re a bit harmful? 

Absolutely! You can keep snake plants inside your home. Just make sure to put them somewhere high so little kids and pets can’t reach them. These plants are cool because they need little care and can make your air cleaner!

What to do if you think someone ate a snake plant? 

If you think someone ate a snake plant or any other plant that could be harmful, quickly call a poison control center or go to the doctor. It’s essential to tell them everything about the plant and what’s happening.

Are snake plants toxic to humans? 

Yes, snake plants can be a little harmful to humans and pets. They have something called saponins that might upset your tummy if you eat them.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *